As I continue to read 1984 by George Orwell, I am intrigued by the overall themes of truth, totalitarianism, and free thought presented throughout the book so far. It’s interesting and scary to imagine a society in our current world with these kind of themes, yet already today’s society hints at some signs that these themes are not completely absent and even have modern day connections. So, one possible focus for my literary analysis could be about the themes present in 1984 and see how they connect to different parts of society today. Another focus I was interested in is a character analysis of the main character Winston Smith. From the beginning of the book, he caught my attention, and I really like how Orwell highlights his internal conflicts with the Party and Big Brother. It will be interesting to see how he develops as a character as I read furthur and learn more about him. One quotation that stood out to me is the slogan of the Ministry of Truth: “War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength.” This quote relates back to the overarching themes of the book, as it helps highlight how truth is not really the truth and the true power of freedom. In total, for my literary analysis topics, I am interested in either examining the themes found in 1984 and relating them back to today’s society or analyzing Winston Smith and the role he plays throughout the book.

I think George Orwell does an excellent job in not only setting up an interesting story to read but also a very thought-provoking story as well. He writes in a way that makes you reflect on the things written by bringing up very challenging ideas or slogans, for example the previously stated quote by the Ministry of Truth: “War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength.” It is quotes like these that push the mind to examine and comprehend the meaning behind the quote, which makes the book a very engaging read. Overall, Orwell does a great job in weaving the plot together with ideas that challenge the norm, and I am excited to continue to explore the book that is 1984.

3 Replies to “War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength”

1. I can’t wait until you finish this! I used to love to teach this book to freshmen … it’s so vital to today’s world as it was when first published. Orwell was definitely ahead of his time.

I see you are already thinking about a couple varied avenues to focus on – and both are fine choices. You could certainly focus on Winston’s inner conflicts (by the way, why do you think he is named Winston Smith? Does the first name mean anything? Does the last name? Also, yes, this book lends itself very well to the portrayal of “fake news” and how false information is perhaps controlling citizens. What might Orwell be saying about government? the media? those in power? etc.

Interesting side note: when our current President took office, this book was number one on Amazon for quite some time.

2. I totally agree, a literary analysis regarding the truth behind Orwell’s foresight’s would be striking. It’s honestly horrifying how correct Orwell was so many years ago and the extent to which society is playing into his thoughts as we speak. In addition, analyzing the main character would be another great part to analyze as Orwell provides the reader with the opportunity to hear Winston Smith’s inner conflicts. As for your quote, it is the perfect summary of a limited society that will have zero individuality and very little variety which could be another point of analysis within your piece. Overall, I think you have a lot of great areas to work with especially since you clearly see the meaning of this book. Great job!!!

3. can’t wait until you finish this! I used to love to teach this book to freshmen … it’s so vital to today’s world as it was when first published. Orwell was definitely ahead of his time.